Saturday, July 11, 2009

Gen What

Power only wears alluring cloaks and wealth more often than not corrupts..
The progressive age is measured in terms of larger amount of money available..
While prominent economists talk about development and not growth both have the prefix of economic..
That cannot be denied..
The reason why I have these thoughts in my head is my 11 year old brother's birthday party..
A joyous affair no doubt..
He is the apple of my eye and I wouldn't have missed it for the world..
I understood his need to have a blast and not be a part of the pizza hut, nirula's and Mc D wagon..
I did not need his puppy eyed "shubhu da I am a big boy. I cannot have a birthday party at Nirula's"
I am 19. Not removed from the kid circle.
But when my eyes started to wheel at the sights of his guests arriving, my claim felt false.
11 and 12 year old kids came in droves.
I did not startle as much when the drivers were given instructions from the little kids.
I hid my resentment at the fact that the pretty girl in pink had a cellphone when I had managed to wheedle my 1st cellphone at the age of 15.
But I froze when one of them gave me his visiting card.
What on Earth does an 11 year old boy do with a visiting card?!!
"Didi, people need to know my number, email address and I can't write all the time on the gifts. So I simply staple a card."
This was the reply with a sweet smile.
I firmly believe that each one has a right to live their life as they deem fit.
It is upto the parents on how they want to raise their kids.
But even my all too flexible, non judgmental and modern college going brain could not adapt to that.
Have we come that far?
Now kids need visiting cards.
Babies will insist on terminator type robots for company as plain barbies might be boring..
I have often told my parents that technology has made childhood a better phase of life to be in..
All these amazing new toys and great contraptions to make it fun for the parents as well as the kids..
The things i missed out on..
But even I had not known that I had missed out on this..
Have the tenants of giving our kids the best changed..
it sure does feel like it.
I don't know about others but now I am going to work hard and practice scenarios regarding my reactions when the next time I am handed a card by an 11 year old.
I do not want a repeat of looking like someone who is choking and her eyes are going to bulge out enough to attract the cast directors for horror movies..

No comments:

Post a Comment